Tuesday, October 23, 2012

"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back." ~John Bunyan

"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back."

I read this quote and thought about a recent event in my life.....
A couple weeks ago, I was at the airport with my kids, heading off of for a family vacation.  As we waited to board the plane, I noticed a family sitting together.....Mom, Dad, Son, Daughter.  The exception was that the son, the young man, was dressed in military fatigues.  He did not look any older than 18.  He also looked very proud.  I observed several people walking over to shake his hand, and they said, "Thank you for your service".  This touched my heart.  Mom and Dad beamed with pride.
My son (8 yrs. old) wanted to know why people were shaking his hand. As I began to explain how this young man was about to leave his family, probably head off to basic training, and learn how to protect this amazing country of ours, the gate attendants announced that they would begin pre-boarding shortly.  I then noticed Mom.  She was doing all she could to keep her proud, brave smile, as she fought back the tears. The young man hugged her, and said, "It's okay mom".  Whew! I felt the tears welling up as I looked back at my own little boy.


In that very moment I got up and I walked over to the young man, shook his hand and told him how grateful I was for his service.  I then looked at mom, both of us welling up with tears, and I asked, "Can I give you a hug".  She smiled and said yes. I hugged her and said, "Thank you for your sacrifice.  You have an amazing son."  Whew!
That moment was about doing something for her....mom-to-mom....letting her know that her courage and sacrifice are not unnoticed.  I never got her name, or found out where they live.  I just wanted her to know that her son and her family are appreciated.  I have thought about her often over the past few weeks.....How is she? Does she get to hear from her boy?  How is he? Is she finding moments in her day to release the worry and embrace moments of laughter?

That event led me to thinking.....
If we all took a moment to do something for someone else:  a smile, a hug, holding the door open for someone else, letting someone merge in front of us (and smiling while we do it), calling someone we have not spoken to in a while, forgiveness (spoken or unspoken)..... What could the world begin to look like?  Imagine, if every day, everyone did something for one other person.....create win/wins all around!

Take a moment and recognize that every person has a story.  We never know what is going on in the life of someone else.
If we all showed a little bit of compassion, took a few moments to connect, imagine what
an inspiring world we could create!

This week, not just today, I challenge you to bless the life of someone else.  Allow grace, compassion and service to lead your heart.
Feel free to share what you experience as a result!

1 comment:

  1. I have tears in my eyes reading this! Thank you for the share, as I value so greatly such moments received and given by me that have no attachment to repayment.

    ReplyDelete